Leather boots are a great investment. They can last forever and they look great. However, that's only if you clean the leather boots properly. Leather is durable, but only with the right amount of care.
Using leather cleaner is one of the best ways to clean your leather boots. You can use just a small amount every so often and your leather boots will look their best and last a lifetime. Here's a guide to cleaning leather boots:
CLEAN YOUR LEATHER BOOTS IN 6 STEPS
1. Remove the laces. Before you start cleaning your leather boots, remove the laces. If they're dirty, go ahead and toss them in the washing machine. If you need new laces, measure them and buy some new ones to replace the old ones.
2. Wipe away loose dirt and debris. Once the laces are removed from your leather boots, wipe away loose dirt and debris with a lint-free cloth. You can also use a small, hand-held vacuum if it has a soft brush attachment.
3. Spot test. Apply a small amount of Leather Honey Leather Cleaner to a discreet spot on the boots. Our formula is gentle enough to be used on all types of leather, but it's always a good idea to see how the leather reacts to the cleaner before applying it all over.
4. Apply the leather cleaner. Now that your leather boots are ready to be cleaned, you have a couple options. You can apply Leather Honey Leather Cleaner to a lint-free cloth and then gently rub the cleaner over the entire boot. You can also use our Leather Care Wipes, which come with just the right amount of cleaner already applied. No matter which method you choose, be sure to get the entire boot covered in cleaner.
5. Allow the leather boots to dry. Let the leather boots dry completely before moving onto the next step. If there is any excess cleaner left on the boots after 24 hours, wipe it away with a lint-free cloth.
6. Condition the leather boots. It's a good idea to condition your leather boots after cleaning them. Conditioning leather helps protect it and ensures it lasts forever. Apply a small amount of Leather Honey Leather Conditioner to a lint-free cloth and gently wipe the boots down. Once again, allow them to dry before using them.
MORE TO KNOW ABOUT HOW TO CLEAN LEATHER BOOTS
Some common questions people have about cleaning leather boots.
How do you clean leather boots without ruining them?
You can clean leather boots with a premade leather cleaner, like Leather Honey Leather Cleaner. What you don't want to do is clean leather boots with vinegar, water or other products, as those will remove the natural oils from your leather and ultimately ruin it.
Is it okay to clean leather boots with water?
You should not use water to clean leather boots. Water, ironically, will suck the moisture out of leather boots and that can lead to cracked leather.
How do you clean old leather boots?
Old leather boots can be brought back to life with Leather Honey Leather Cleaner and Leather Honey Leather Conditioner. Clean your leather boots first and then condition them. If the conditioner soaks in quickly, you might want to give them another round.
Over the years we have also found that our leather conditioner works well on exotic leathers like lizard, alligator, eel, sheepskin, snakeskin, sting ray, and more.
Leather Boot & Shoe Conditioner
Our best-selling leather conditioner works to soften and restore your leather
New leather shoes, and ones you haven’t worn in a while, can feel stiff due to lack of moisture. If you try to “break them in” you may cause the leather to crack (and hurt your feet in the process). Our leather conditioner acts as a leather softener for shoes and boots. It provides moisture which makes the leather pliable and supple again.
Conditioning shoe and boot leather on a regular basis (about every 6 months if you wear the same pair of footwear regularly, or when you take your boots out of storage) will restore your leather.
A little bit of the product goes a long way, so the coat you apply does not have to be thick. Allow the shoes to sit for at least two hours (preferably overnight) then wipe off any excess product.
Complete Leather Care for Boots & Shoes
Get everything you need for your leather with our product bundles.
True leather shoe care involves cleaning and conditioning – you first remove stains and dirt with a gentle cleaner and then you restore and protect the leather with a premium conditioner. Our product bundles include Leather Honey conditioner, cleaner, and application cloths. Just decide what size conditioner you need and select your bundle below.
Leather Honey premium conditioner, Leather Honey cleaner, and 2 application cloths.
What Our Customers Say
We pride ourselves on our positive customer reviews and the numerous people who have used our leather products and loved the results. Read our testimonials for yourself. You pay good money for leather footwear – and once those shoes and boots get comfortable, you want them to last. You can have attractive footwear all year long by cleaning and conditioning on a regular basis, with great products that provide results!
My wife and I recently moved here from Northern Vermont. All the great horse loggers of the Northeast kingdom of Vermont use Leather Honey religiously, and it has been highly recommended for leather boot waterproofing.