Caring for leather can be a tricky business. Each leather product needs the proper care, whether it's a leather boot as you would a leather bag. Leather furniture is an integral & valuable part of your everyday living. Because your leather chairs, couches, sofa, etc. are part of your home, it is important that they are comfortable, look good, and durable enough to handle constant use. You need to know the basic DOs and DON'Ts to properly take care of your favorite leather furniture pieces.
Leather Furniture Care - DOs
It’s important to know what you should do to keep your leather furniture looking nice:
- Start Small: When you start using a cleaning or conditioning product for the first time, try it on a hidden area first. This way if it hurts or discolors the leather it will be on a small, hidden area.
- Minor Spills: Spills are bound to happen. When they do, wipe up them up right away. Use an absorbent towel or sponge to get rid of the excess liquid. If you have to, you can use a damp cloth to spot clean. Make sure to let the area air dry.
- Stains: If you get butter, oil or grease stains on your leather furniture, do not panic. Wipe off the excess oil butter, oil or grease with a clean, dry cloth. After that, Leather Honey Leather Cleaner & Conditioner may be able to help further.
- Stubborn Stains: If you just can’t seem to get rid of a stain, have a professional come take a look. This will help you avoid damaging the leather.
- Scratches: When your leather furniture gets minor scratches, you can use a soft leather cloth to buff the area. Many of our customers have told us that our Leather Honey Leather Conditioner greatly reduced pet & other scratches.
- Dry Cloth or Vacuum: Use a dry cloth or a vacuum to do regular dusting of your leather furniture.
- Leather Conditioner: Regular conditioning with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner twice a year to help keep your furniture supple, protected and beautiful.
- Sunlight: If possible, keep your leather furniture out of the direct sunlight. This will help keep your leather from fading.
These are a few things you want to do to keep your leather furniture at its best.
Leather Furniture - DON'Ts
Just as there are things that you do want to do, there are also things you don’t want to do:
- Soap: Don’t use soap when trying to clean a stain. This will hurt the leather furniture more than the stain itself.
- Soak: Similarly, you don’t want to soak a stain.
- Cleaning Solvents: Do not use cleaning solvents such as furniture polish, oils, varnish, abrasive cleaners, ammonia water, detergent soaps, oil soaps, saddle soap or things of that nature when cleaning your leather furniture. These types of cleaners can do things like stain or darken the leather, discolor the leather, dry the leather out, cause the leather to become brittle or damage the leather in some other way. Just don’t do it. Our Leather Honey Leather Cleaner is specifically formulated for leather.
- Plastic Vacuum Attachments: Be careful when you vacuum your leather furniture, if you use a hard plastic attachment, it may scratch the leather. Soft bristle attachments should be fine, but always test in a discrete location.
- Neglect: Finally, don’t neglect your leather furniture. Properly take care of it, and it will last you a lifetime.
Taking care of leather is not all about what you do, but it’s also about what you don’t do. Remember what not to do when you’re taking care of your leather furniture.
Products to Use When Taking Care of Your Leather
As you have gathered from the lists of what you should and shouldn’t do to take care of your leather furniture, there are some cleaning products that you need. One of the most important products you can get for your leather furniture is our leather conditioner. This helps keep your leather moist, which stops it from cracking. It also adds a layer of protection while bringing out its natural, beautiful color. Leather Honey is all natural, no toxins.
You also want to make sure to have plenty of soft, lint free cloths on hand. These cloths will come in handy when you have to wipe up a spill or buff out a scratch. We offer cloths in our money-saving leather care bundles, and as add-ons when purchasing our conditioner or cleaner separately.
You also want to make sure to have a vacuum on hand. This will allow you to dust the crevices, and keep your leather furniture looking the best that they can. You want to make sure that your vacuum has the right tools, so you can clean the crevices well. Be careful of hard plastic attachments that may scratch the leather.
Finally, you should have our leather cleaner on hand. You know that you can’t use regular cleaning products on leather because they can cause irreparable damage. When stains & spills happen, time is of the essence.
Leather Furniture Care
If leather furniture is taken care of properly it can last for a lifetime. If you have leather couches & chairs, make sure you are familiar with what you should and shouldn’t do. This will help you keep your leather furniture looking its best. You want to make sure that you have the products needed to properly take care of the leather furniture. Don’t neglect your leather furniture, or it will not last as long as you would like it to. Take proper leather care & you’ll be glad you did when your leather couch is still looking nice even after years of use.